Thursday, May 10, 2012

Political Thoughts

I don't tend to be too vocal about my political views, but I heard something this morning that really gets to me. We've been hearing talk about Ann Romney and how she was a stay-at-home mom (which I am). With that there has been talk about how because her husband made so much money she didn't need to. Well, with those thoughts in mind, I have my own views as well. I started staying home with my own kids full time when my second child was born. Frankly, my husband wasn't making a ton of money, but I wasn't making enough to make it worth putting 2 kids in daycare so I could work. So financially it's been a lot better for us for me to be home. My husband doesn't make the most money, but we are now expecting child #6 and I couldn't be happier with the decision we have made for me to stay at home with my children.

So, back to the ad that I heard this morning. I can't remember who made the ad, but it sure did get me going. In the ad it talked about how Ann Romney has never worked a day in her life. I know that they are referring to outside the home, I do the same thing myself at times, but when it comes to a political ad, it's best to not make that mistake. If anyone thinks that staying at home with children is not work has never done it before for any duration of time. There are so many expectations of a mother that it's VERY HARD to feel like you can live up to MOST of them let alone ALL of them. I sometimes think that having a job where I get paid outside of my home would be easier than doing what I currently do. I also very much admire those that do have full time jobs outside of their home and still maintain their homes. I know I couldn't do it all.

The more I hear ads of this nature against the Romneys' for this choice that they made, the more I feel like I cannot vote for anyone but the Romneys'. I just don't agree with the comment that if you are a stay-at-home mom you don't work!

1 comment:

Nicholle said...

We too were very poor when I chose to stay home with my kids. I have never regretted it.

Ain't no need to watch where I'm going, just need to know where I've been.