Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Online Help

So, I have been addicted to pinterest lately...there is always something fun to see or do. It gives me lots of ideas that I will *someday* put to use. With that in mind, I have also been bouncing around to new blogs here and there and I have found some websites that I would like to post about more specifically.

Over the summer I *try* to do centers or something specific with each child that I don't do otherwise. I worry about my older children loosing what they have learned in the long break away from that intense learning that they have been doing. I am not so good about doing things at home with them during the year, so summer tends to be my time to try and help them progress (or at least not end up loosing what they have learned). The littler kids should be getting better attention to this at home during the year, but like I said before, I'm just not that good at it. So for this summer I thought that maybe we'll try it again and see if some of it can carry through till after the new one is born and then into the school year for the little ones.

So, as I have been searching and trying to figure out what to do for their "centers" I have come across a couple different websites that can help one child while I may be working with another...or something like that.

One great website I have found for math is khanacademy.org Here there are videos to help teach as well as practices that the child (or yourself if you have ambitions to learn).

Another site is for learning the alphabet and reading it is: starfall.com It lets the child pick letters and talk about the letter and sounds that go to it. It will also read stories.

I have no idea how much either site helps kids in the long run, but for me I feel that if they can help it's worth a shot. I know this shouldn't replace other activities, but I think as a supplement it really can't hurt much.

Are there great websites you use/like for education purposes?

I just found this site that might help someone out... www.myoatmealkisses.com/2012/03/top-educational-websites-for-kids.html#

No comments:

Ain't no need to watch where I'm going, just need to know where I've been.