Monday, March 15, 2010

What? What? WHAT?...

Some of you may have heard, others probably not, but I have been concerned about Charlies' hearing for a bit now. I can't really remember how long it's been a concern, I just know it has been for awhile. So, I got an apt with an audiologist through the school district to get it checked out. We had the apt this morning and Charlie handled it pretty well.

He got his ears looked at and then they checked the vibrations on his ear drum. The color looked off, and when they tested vibrations, there weren't any. He then got to go in the sound booth and put on headphones to really see where he's at. After they were done, I got to find out how he is.

I guess Mother's intuition was right. He really does have a problem. I guess normal range is 0-20 and he is at a 35-40 range. As I understand it, 40 is about normal talking, so he is barely understanding normal talking. I feel like I yell at him a lot and now I know that I really do. The nice thing is that he probably doesn't feel like I am at all. I have to go up about 20 decibels to get in his comfortable hearing range. So, from here, we get to go to an ENT and go from there. We've got that apt made, but it's not until mid-May. I thought I would just write it down now so I don't forget. My memory really isn't good right now, so hopefully this will help.

It'll be interesting to see what happens. I'll let you know in a couple of months.

4 comments:

Toodles said...

Mother's intuition is usually right on! Keep us updated!

Jared & Tracee said...

Crazy!! At least you have figured it out now! Yes, do keep us updated. I would be interested in hearing what the ENT says!

growing said...

great job Becky! If you need any answers to questions about hearing loss I can probably help....and I would just say watch out for the yelling....for Charlie its like normal hearing....BUT your other children hear normally....Its very hard to figure out how to communicate with one hard of hearing child and keep things from getting out of control. Plus its just not fun to yell all the time. I struggle with it daily so you are not alone. (((((hugs)))))

Shan said...

I hope everything goes well.. I have a great ENT that we have seen, but not so much for hearing although I think my second doesn't hear very well either. I need to get him check out probably too. Hope all goes well, keep us updated..

Ain't no need to watch where I'm going, just need to know where I've been.