Thursday, February 4, 2010

Biggest Looser

At the beginning of the year, Mike's family started a Biggest Looser Competition. It started on Jan. 4th and finishes on July 4th. As we have been going along trying to loose weight, it's got me thinking about a few different things.

One thing that you read about all the time if you want to loose weight is to not skip breakfast. Otherwise known as the "Most Important Meal of the Day." As I have been looking up recipes to give us a little more variety, I'm finding that there are a lot of things that qualify for a healthy breakfast. I think it comes down to portion control. Waffles are good for you, but you need to limit your syrup intake a little and don't eat 15 of them and you are OK. It's interesting to read that crumb cake, muffins, french toast, breakfast taco, egg sandwich (without the cheese), bagels, and pancakes all make it on the list as well as many others.

Some things that were suggested by this site http://intermountainlive.org/habits/Pages/breakfast.aspx (sorry, my link isn't working) says that for breakfast these should be our goals: 3 out of 5 food groups in the meal, use Whole Grains, switch to low-fat dairy, select cereals that are low in sugar, no trans fats and the first ingredient is a whole grain, top cereals off with fruit, mix fruit and granola into yogurt. Go to the website if you want more detail than that.

Looking at all this is getting me inspired. I think I will try out a few of these ideas/recipes and see how they go over with my family. Since marrying Mike, I have cut down a lot on my cereal consumption and it's nice to find an alternate occasionally to the pancakes and waffles. I'll let you know which recipe we try and how they taste. (I have to like the taste or the healthy benefit makes it hard for me to do again. :))

2 comments:

Laura said...

Good for you guys! I have been looking up "healthy" recipes, mostly ones that do with weight watchers. Here is my favorite, its a recipe blog, and she lists out the caloric info too.

http://weight-watchers-points-recipes.blogspot.com/

It all looks devine!

Good luck!

Sweetpea said...

Awesome! Good for you! Do you have my crockpot oatmeal recipe? It rocks. Email me if you want it.

Ain't no need to watch where I'm going, just need to know where I've been.